Studying is not always easy, especially when we can be easily distracted by our surrounding. Here are five tips to study more efficiently.
1. Find a quiet place. That’s something you’ll hear all the time, but that’s because it’s true. If you want to study properly, you have to close yourself from the rest of the world. Silence is a must. Listening to music while studying is a bad habit and can lead to poor performances (trust me!) — you’ll certainly end up memorizing the song better than your lessons, and that song will haunt your mind during your exams.
2. Study with others, but study properly. If you are one of those people who can’t study in a quiet place (don’t worry, it’s the case for several people), you can call some of your friends over to study. Studying with people is a good way to memorize your lessons more efficiently, that’s true… but only if you study properly! Calling your friends over to study is useless if you just end up messing around. Avoid those who are not motivated. Avoid those with whom you’d just mess around. If you don’t feel like studying with your friends is not an option, you can try to ask help from one of your fellow classmates.
3. Don’t study from day to night. Studying from day to night is a mistake that should be avoided. When you try to learn too many things at the same time, there is a high chance you won’t remember more than 10% of them — and they will only be fragments from different lessons. My advice would be to study for 1 to 3 hours, then take a break of 30 minutes to 1 hour. During that break, just relax. Play video games. Read a book. Listen to music. Take a nap. Do what you want to do, all you have to do is to enjoy your break. Once it is over, spend 15-30 minutes to remember what you learned before the break. Afterwards, study again for 1 to 3 hours. Do it as many times as you want, and according to your preferences.
4. Do not force yourself to study. Humans have never been able to show great performances when forced to do something. The same goes for studies. You may have some days where you want to study, and some days where you don’t feel like doing so. When you’re in the latter case, don’t force yourself to study. As a matter of fact, if you force yourself to study, you will have a hard time memorizing anything and you will eventually get frustrated. So before studying, never forget to do one thing: get motivated.
5. Don’t forget to have fun. Have fun when studying. If you only think about having good grades or if you’re afraid of failing, studying will be painful. To study more efficiently, you need to turn your studies into something fun. Whether you want to make a song based on a lesson or play a game to memorize some notions, learn in a fun way and enjoy studying.